UX Case Study — Redesigning Mamikos Indonesia Mobile App
Mamikos is one of indonesia’s digital startup company which provides access to search indexed room for rents and apartments with accurate and verified data, mostly associated with students and city newcomers in Indonesia. It is a solutive product, but as some people mentioned, it has some UX problems. Before we get to it, I’d like to address that having a room for rent is very common in Indonesia, especially for college students or a city newcomer. Not necessarily an apartment, more like a hotel room, if that makes sense. Let’s agree to call it a “Kost” instead of “room for rent”.
I am not affiliated, or working for Mamikos or anything related. I use Mamikos every once in a while, and I noticed their usability issues and interested to give solutions. After talking to friends who are the users as well, I found that out of the people I talked to there are something in common about people who uses Mamikos :
Newcomers who just moved to a new city for a fresh career, or College Student, both looking for affordable Kost or apartments with variety of budget and facilities.
Mamikos itself actually provides more than just finding Kost, it can get you jobs, and to sell/buy (mostly used) items for your rooms. from here and out, we can see that Mamikos mainly focusing it’s features on budget-oriented students and newcomers, especially for getting affordable furniture and items that has medium life cycle for relatively medium term usage, since the student won’t permanently be in the same Kost for the rest of their lives.
- Mamikos’ overall navigation is not too discoverable (will be explained below) and make user has to go back and forth between one and the other to go from discovering their needs, contacting the owner.
- Mamikos has not only feature to discover apartments, jobs, and to sell/buy furnitures. These features have no easy access or even promotion.
Through this case study, I’d like to conduct testing, discovering the UX issues to back up my hyphotesis with data, and propose a design solution.
At the heart of my workflow, is that I use Design as A Process, thus I follow Design Thinking methodology, or should I say my roadmap to go through to find solutions from the problem the user face.
Based on my analysis, niche features, and validating with people whether they need or use similar platforms, this is the persona I could conclude.
Going further, our persona has a problem with finding new Kost or related needs. Newcomers frequently going back and forth the app to find Kost, or comparing choices.
Through the interviews I’ve had, the results of the pain points could be mapped as seen below. We can see patterns that most of the users see.
Defining The Problem
- Filtering Process
Users were confused to filter to get the specification they want, such as nearby campus, with list view, and what should I do with the info on the map. It is most likely because of the placement and proximity, the filter elements are confusing because are not tied together.
- Discoverability and Navigation Problem
Users question most of the navigations and how it takes to move from one feature to another.
This phase included of making flowchart, sketches, low fidelity designs and high-fidelity mockup.
- Go with convention.
First and foremost, the first step would be to edit the app flow, especially for new users who are using the app for the first place. As mentioned above that the participants didn’t understand the context just by being shown the map. So I added a page with general choices and information to help the user have brief understanding of the app.
- Bottom Bar for quicker navigation
Second, switching from hamburger navigation and adding a bottom bar. This navigation is pretty familiar as it is used by a lot of apps and still the quickest way to switch between features. This will allow “Chat” “Favorites” to keep track of updates of the favorites, “profile” to get the idea of who we can customize. These features are more frequently used, therefore need quicker action to go back and forth.
Third, user questions the banner shown while the hamburger icon is active. They question whether these are important, if yes, why is it not a part of the feature. So my solution would be to put more emphasis and move in on the new homepage along.
- Making filter process clearer.
Filtering is one of the most crucial thing this app do, because user generally has expectations and certain adjustment before getting relevant choices. But the filter in this app feels divided. Filter should never be about giving a precise choice, but giving limited choices for the user with specification, certain limitation, with sense of further exploration in mind.
“What users value, mostly are prices and distance (relative from their campus/office), and the facilities.”
I went on some iterations before getting to the current results, but overall I put filter in one place, so basically I could define that anything that affects the choices of the user, is a filter.
Here you may see the overall screens designed. It all went through sketch in Crazy 8 method, Moodboard, then designing low-fidelity design for validation, then high-fidelity designs after.
After conducting validation tests:
Users had no difficulty in searching for Kost and filtering up to get the options that they want. Overall the results were better and the comments has been positive.
Kost, Apartments, and Hotels have different usage, priority, and thus lead to different behavior here in Indonesia. In some mental model, it is important to know what those priorities are, both for product design and strategy purposes. Platform like this is important, especially about how the target market could save tons of time, energy, and information.
Let’s connect !